Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Horse and His Boy, by C. S. Lewis

I have a habit of listening to my mp3 player when I wake up in the middle of the night, and can't sleep. I have dealt with insomnia for almost 18 years now.  It is one of the symptoms of fibromyalgia, and I have learned to live with it.  One of the main things I listen to is the Chronicles of Narnia.  I know the stories so well, and I can usually drift off to sleep.

So, one night I am listening to "The Horse and His Boy".  I drift off to sleep, and wake up just as Shasta, the main character, is meeting Aslan.  If you haven't read this story, I recommend it highly.  It parallels a Christian's journey through difficulties.  Here's what it prompted me to write:


Inspired by: The Horse and His Boy, by C.S. Lewis

I am Shasta, coming over the mountain pass.  I have stumbled upon it blindly, and entered the dark night of the soul.

HE is there, waiting for me, walking alongside, guarding me from the cliff's edge, yet mysteriously hidden from my eyes.

HE asks me my sorrows, and I tell him:
My son is dead.  My daughter is missing. My physical pain is always with me. I have done Your work, and seen little reward.  My journey has made me afraid, and I feel lost and alone.

And yet – You are the one who has walked this journey with me.  You have pushed me to join my companions, who have become true friends.  You have saved me countless times from harm.  You have comforted me when I have had no one else.

You take the pain, the sorrow, the hurt and the fear – the deep dark core of my pain – You draw it out of me and You heal me.

Your light dissipates the clouds that have hidden Your beauty.  And I find in the afterglow of Your magnificent presence that I am home.

No comments: